Chitterlings ala Decatur
A great variation on a traditional recipe. Give it a try!
- 20 pounds Uncle Lou’s Super Clean Chitlins pork chitterlings, thawed
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 7-8 small hot peppers
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- Soak chitterlings in warm water for 15 minutes. Cut into 12-inch pieces. Split open. Remove fat and debris. Wash in warm to hot water 3-5 times.
- Place chitterlings in a large dutch oven or heavy pot. Add onion, celery, garlic, peppers, salt and pepper, vinegar, and sugar. Add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 4 hours.